Sunday, November 22, 2009

A few Points

First...I have a correction. On November 17 I published the news that my "baby" was 24 years old. Today, for some reason, I was thinking of him, and it suddenly occured to me that --DOH-- he is 25 years old. (2009-1984=25...) Wow. I've had everyone's age wrong for a couple of years, including my own. Two years ago my good friend pointed out that, no, I couldn't be 53, because he was 53 and I'm one year older than him. I was turning 55 on that birthday. Just like that I aged two years in two days. One day, I was 53, but I realized I was actually 54, and because it was my birthday the next day, I was, in fact, 55. So, I guess I haven't recovered from that brain-spasm because I've done it again with my son. Wow. It was a milestone birthday and I blew it.

Second...what do you suggest we do with a cluster of ladies in our Relief Society who sit and chat during the opening announcements? And it isn't just an occasional whisper...they're usually talking to each other, quite audibly, with laughter, and very distractingly. Our RS room is oddly shaped. It is a shallow U and these women sit on the far left side of the room, along the back wall, and--frankly--never shut up until we're into the opening song a verse or two. I play the piano, I'm sitting right in front of their section over there and it is extremely distracting and completely rude. The announcements in RS are usually quite elaborate and pretty strategic: lots of important scheduling occurs and there is usually a series of clipboards going around that need a word of explanation. Having been in a RS presidency, I know that these announcements must be made, so there isn't an alternative. But, I'm truly tired of these interrupters.

Oh, and incidently, two of them are: the stake RS president and one of her counselors. Yes. That is why we do not know what to do about it. Today, I went over to the "club" after I'd played a little music following the prayer, and I spoke like an annoyed mom: "Now you girls just cannot sit together anymore, I'm telling you. Am I going to have to come over here and sit between you?" Then we all laughed. But I actually meant it. I know our ward RS president is peeved. But she doesn't know what to do either. Any suggestions out there?

1 comment:

FoxyJ said...

One ward I was in did away with announcements as much as possible so it would leave more time for the lesson. It was a younger ward so everyone had email and we were able to get people on board with an email list. That's actually easier for scheduling things and sending around announcements. Not exactly the right solution, but just a thought. We have a few older ladies who sit in the back and chat, and they're hard of hearing so they speak even louder than they probably should. Sigh.