Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Lights

I like Christmas lights. I like those dripping ice-cycle garlands around the perimeter of the roof. I like the zillions of twinkly lights wrapped all the way around the palm tree trunk with the fronds highlighted with streamers of lights. I like the twinkling colored lights that go off and on at random intervals so the effect is star-like. I like huge Nativity Scenes in the yard, with wooden camels and a real hay bale for Mary to sit on. I like the whole fence festooned with ropes and ropes of lights. I like the colonial style houses in Maryland with a wreath and a candle in every window. I like them all---on other people's houses.

On our house, we usually just hang one strand of colored lights all along the edges of the roof, put a lighted wreath on the door and call it Merry Christmas. On my own house, I like understated and simple.

But, seriously--everyone else--knock yourselves out. I'll drive around and look at it and admire it and get the Christmas spirit from you. I just don't go to all that work at my house.

No comments: