Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Graduate Dithering

Eighteen months ago, I was accepted to the MLS degree on-line program at San Jose State University. I registered, got everything all set up to do my on-line courses, started one, and discovered two things.
1) I was really not computer savvy enough to do an on-line class effectively.
2) I didn't actually want to do what the degree was about after all: organizing data.

So, I withdrew (a nice word for "dropped out" w/o penalty.) I looked into several other "schools" that constantly send teachers information touting their convenient and quick master's degree programs. Basically, "Give us $20,000 and we give you a degree in 18 months." But none of them are an actual brick&mortar school. They exist largely in cyberspace to give master's degrees and apparently have agreements with a couple of western states to service their teachers. I didn't want one of those.

So, next I applied to UNLV, since I am a Nevada resident and I live here in Las Vegas and they have an education school. Most of their degree programs weren't that exciting to me, either, but I've maxed out salary-advancement-wise and I must get a master's degree to earn more money. Plus, at my age, and after teaching 14 years, I'm just about alone with only a bachelor's degree. Nearly everyone I know has a graduate degree but me. My resume is thin.

So, I was accepted to the Curriculum and Instruction program. But when I discussed this with a trusted friend who works in the district office, she told me some things that made me reconsider this choice. I was supposed to register for classes and start in January. BUT...today I went down there, met with a professor she recommended to me, and---changed my program----again. I'm beginning to feel dizzy.

But, at last, I believe I have a goal I can accomplish and be happy with: MS Educational Psychology. It's all about cognitive research in reading instruction. Okay. A program I can get behind, something based on data, something I can use if I ever leave the classroom for some vague district office position. Blah. blah. No, really, I do feel good about the degree. I need to take a class starting in January, then the degree starts officially in Fall, 2009. And, thanks to Meredith, I can afford it!

No comments: