Monday, October 13, 2008

And This Is Why...

If you've ever wondered how CoolGuy got his name...here's one reason:

A couple of days ago, I asked if he would take my car and get it washed. It's better to wash it early in the day, because, last week, Las Vegas temperatures were still reaching the upper 90's by 3:00 P.M. A cool blast of car-wash water could crack a windshield that had been parked in the hot sun all day. Sure, he'd be happy to, and the plan was to exchange vehicles with me when he finished. So I took his truck to school.

Around 11:00 A.M. I received an e-mail that I should just run my after-school errands in the truck, because he wasn't finished with the car. Hmm...puzzling.

I got home at 5:30 to find him scooting around under the car on his mechanic's cart, with my front wheels lying in a corner. I was getting new brakes! And I also had a new power steering hose! He'd come out to get in the car and found a drip under the front. I hadn't noticed it. But he did, and he was hoping it wasn't the oil drip he'd repaired a couple of weeks ago coming back to haunt him. Nope, a different worn out part.

Now, if I had just kept driving my car that week, I'd probably have never noticed the leak, driven around until the hose completely ruptured, been stranded somewhere with no steering, or burned out the power steering pump trying to muscle it around without the power steering. My car didn't make it to the car wash, but it did get new front brakes and a new hose.

I'll get to the car wash this weekend. And I'll get there safely with power steering and front brakes. This is the coolness...

No comments: