Saturday, July 30, 2011

Frankenfoot Update

Guess what I did on Thursday??  I bought new shoes!  You realize what that means?
1) I got to do one of my favorite activities--try on shoes.
2) I have new shoes!
3) My right foot isn't swollen anymore...yeah, imagine?

I went to my doctor Thursday afternoon to ask questions:
*Do I have to wear the brace any longer?
*Is it supposed to hurt this much still?
*What are the best exercises to increase my stamina?

Answers:
*No; the brace was to help control and relieve swelling. If you're not swollen, don't wear it.

*Yes; a bone in my foot was cut nearly in half and a titanium wedge was inserted. That area has to heal and it will take a really long time. There's a nerve that sits up on top of my foot and it can be shot up with cortisone if I think that will help. No thanks--the pain is deep inside.

*Walking is actually a poor choice--ride a bike, or do water aerobics in the deep part of the pool so I don't use all my weight on my foot. But, it will take many months to rebuild my calf muscle, and it will take time to get my stamina back up. After all, I have babied it for six months. (And since getting around in the ortho boot was so hard, I tended to lay around a lot. I'm a total flab-bag right now...can't even climb stairs without huffing and puffing...need more pool time...need to get up early and ride the bike before it gets too hot.)

Anyway, after that appointment, I went directly to Dillards, to the Ecco section of the shoe department and tried on shoes. Now, I have a pair of blue ones and a pair of brown ones. I also found an awesome new brand called Dr. Weil's and so I bought some red ones, too. This gives me four different pair of shoes that will hold up my healing foot properly and afford wardrobe variety.

I looked longingly at all the cute shoes...and walked out with my bag. But...I walked out on two feet, dressed in two shoes, with no ortho braces or boots or anything!!! Yea!!!


No comments: