Sunday, March 04, 2012

Watch Out For What You Watch

Since I get to spend so much time lying there on the couch to keep my stupid foot propped up to help prevent (or relieve) swelling, TV is sometimes watched. But, seriously, not all the time. And that is a good thing, because a person can be swayed to act on things that you see there.

On Friday, I spent about 6 1/2 hours in my classroom entering grades and typing report card comments. Yes, I know that I'm no longer being paid. Yes, I know there is a substitute being paid to do my work. But, I'd graded all those papers, and I knew what the students' skills are, and I decided the humane thing to do would be to write the report card comments myself.

So I did. However, that meant I sat there with my foot hanging down the entire time. So, when CoolGuy came to pick me up at 2:30, I went home and laid down on the couch, propped up the foot,  and stayed there. We'd already planned that he would fetch Meat-A-Rama for supper, so mostly I was able to just lay right there until it was hot tub time. I was channel surfing and came across a show we like called Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives which is just a guy driving around to different parts of the country eating yummy stuff.

So we sat there, paunched from our barbequed ribs, mac-and-cheese and green beans, and drooled over the yummy burgers, omelets, carne asada, and other delights that are prepared and served in a variety of establishments that this lucky guy gets to visit for a living. Plus, they take you into the kitchen and show you how they make the stuff--lots of "grandma's secret recipe" stuff going on out there.

Well, this one place in Kansas, not only has the yummiest burgers and most divine onion rings I've ever seen, but they serve apple pie. Homemade---fifty of them are baked up there each day---and topped with ice cream. We watched them roll out that pie dough and load it up with apples and brown sugar and and cinnamon, and then---the magic of TV---pull out the hot, crispy, flaky desserts when they're baked....and we drooled.

So, the next day, I had to go to the market anyway. As you know, Saturday is a special day...milk, cheese,TP, cat food, apples...You gotta know what we had for dessert.

No comments: