Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Off They Go!!

That title is supposed to get you singing the Air Force song in your head. Today as CoolGuy and I were returning home from a last lunch together before I go back to work tomorrow, we saw a large helicopter flying along the front of the mountain behind our neighborhood, and turn toward the base that is north of our house. We both knew immediately that it was Marine One because we've seen it before, many times, in Maryland. Then, we recalled that President Obama was in town, visiting a solar energy place out near Boulder City, so we realized that he must have arrived at the base that morning, rather than the city's airport like last time. By the time we'd traveled the few blocks up to our street, and just as we were turning into our driveway, there it was---Air Force One---taking off west and banking north. It's a really awesome jet.

When we lived in Maryland, we were about 45 miles south of Andrews Air Force Base, where all the U.S. presidential aircraft is based. Many times, as I stood on the playground supervising recess, I'd see that big blue and white plane coming in to land. It was low enough that we could easily see the colors and I'd point it out to my students. I hope today that some students who were out having P.E. had their teachers stop and point out to them the big 747 powering up into the blue desert sky. Very cool...

2 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

I believe the helicopter is called Marine One. We had a friend in VA that was a pilot for Pres. Bush.

Tina said...

It is always awe inspiring to see Air Force one. I drive by its hanger on the way to the commisary every couple-a-weeks.

Found your blog from a post of Amy H's on facebook. I remember you from the Patuxent ward . . . you were primary president and I was stake primary president. I've read one of your Ensign articles and was soooo excited to recognize your name!

Hope you don't mind me coming and reading your writing. Looks like you've been blogging since 2006, just like me!!! Looks like you are much more prolific at it though :) Feel free to come give me a "blog" visit also!