Thursday, March 01, 2012

Before and After

1:00 P.M.




2:30 P.M.




It's subtle, I know. But can you spot the difference in these photos? It may seem negligible to some, but to anyone who has been encased in a plaster cast, the difference is huge. For instance, right now, I'm sitting here fresh from a soak in the hot tub.  Exactly four weeks ago, tonight, was the last time I enjoyed that pleasure.

 I noticed that Orion has migrated to the west in his Springtime journey to repose. In Winter, Orion sits up high in the south sky this time of night. The Big Dipper is moving too. It's amazing how much difference a month makes in the position of the stars. That is my favorite part of the hot tub...well...one favorite part: stargazing. We're up here on the east hill, next to the big dark mountain, far enough away from the bright part of Tinsel Town that we can see stars. Mars is big and orange, too, directly south of the Dipper. I get to admire the night sky tomorrow, too, and every night I feel like it after this, because I have a removable cast now! YEAH!!

WARNING: Squeamish people stop reading now...


 This was before they removed the old steri-strips that covered my dissolving stitches, so the wounds look rather grotesque. They're actually healed up very nicely and I expect they will lighten and fade just as the ones from last year have done. Did you know that it is a law that the doctor has to write "yes" on your body part with marker on the area where the surgery is to be done? Also, in addition to the tendon repair on my ankle/foot, the lengthening of the tendon on my calf, and the bone repair on the outside of the foot,  I also had a curled up toe straightened. So this a total foot rebuild. I'm good for another 150,000 miles. (Just a little gear-head lingo there.) 

It is still quite swollen and, in my previous experience, it will remain that way for several months. It takes a lot of activity and (ultimately) compression stockings to get the edema to go away. I'll still be non-weight-bearing for another two weeks, at least, possibly three. I'm supposed to gradually work my way into using my full weight, not just start up one day using it totally. Crutches...blah. Then, physical therapy for eight weeks, wearing the ortho boot for at least six weeks of that time during the rest of the day. But at least I'll be able to walk on it without any assistance. He pointed out that my tendon is about the consistency of jello right now, and the bone needs six full weeks to grow before I attempt to use it.

So, if it heals up as well as last year, I should be back in normal shoes, with a brace, by the end of May. I could be out of this boot before school ends. Whooooo hooooo!! Swimming will be full on by then, and I can spend the summer getting my stamina back through laps and water aerobics.

 I've got one more class to take during the June summer session, and then I'll be able to apply for graduation and I'll be finished with the master's degree. Wouldn't that be something if next fall, all I'll be thinking about is simply starting a year of fourth grade? No surgery, no college classes, no limping? It's my dream!


No comments: