Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pomp and Circumstance

 
 
This is me, standing with around 1300 other people at the UNLV graduation ceremony this afternoon. (Another ceremony graduated 1300 other people in the morning.) Yeah!!!  I graduated from college today with a master's degree in Educational Psychology. It's all about research---consuming and performing and writing about it. I learned a lot of great stuff, met a lot of wonderful people and persisted until I finally finished the whole thing. And I do mean persisted...I had both of the stupid feet operated on during my course work. I also taught fourth grade, and, for two years, I taught a four month long course to instructional aides most Saturdays. I took a class every semester -- including summers -- and finally, today, a professor read my name and I crossed the stage and shook hands with another professor and went back down to my seat. Done, done, done!
 
My son and his family surprised us by coming to town last night to join the celebration. Our daughter came down from Oregon to attend too, and in two weeks, I'm heading up to Portland to attend her graduation for her master's degree in nursing practice. So we're just celebrating, celebrating and celebrating this spring in our family!
 
Weird note: Jimmy Kimmel was awarded an honorary doctorate during my graduation today...he attended years ago, and has been a generous humanitarian to the high school from which he graduated here in Las Vegas. So, it was a Bright Lights, Big City kind of day, after all.
 
 
Here is my fan club.

 
CoolGuy and I

 
I wish I'd had a mirror....Oh, well. It's the real me, sans sunglasses. The lapel pin commemorates the 50th graduation that the college has held. Also, one of us today represented the 100,000th alumni of the university. They declared that we all represent that person, so they didn't single someone out, like at Disneyland.
 
 

2 comments:

Janice said...

Way to go Judy! I read your blog! Great accomplishment.

Unknown said...

so nice .. happy to read it...!!


custom pins