Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

When I was a child, Memorial Day was May 30th. The Federal Holiday act was passed in 1971, the year I graduated from high school. That moved the official celebration to the last Monday of May. Memorial Day was always the first event of summer vacation--school was over. Since so many people in our community back then had farms, the students were needed at home that time of  year to work with their parents. The calendar said Spring, but in the Rocky Mountain valley where we grew up, that just meant that the storms were less likely to leave snow that lasted more than a day. Many Memorial Days of my childhood featured cold rain and, occasionally, sleet or actual snow.

My mom had several cemeteries to visit and many relatives to whom she paid homage with flowers. I especially liked to be present when our visit coincided with the Presentation of The Colors by the local chapter of the VFW.  A bugler played "Taps" and the (usually) older men would stand at attention with the flags whipping around in the wind, or lying wet and still against the flagpoles.

I'm proud to be part of a family who served our country in the military. I have a veteran grandfather, father, husband and son. Several uncles, brothers-in-law, both my father & mother-in-law, nephews and one niece are veterans. So Memorial Day is a day of remembrance and honor in our family. We do miss those who have left this life, but I also like this quote from General Patton:

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
 
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
 

 
Lynn Ray Welch
U.S. Navy 1941-1945
Radioman

 
 
Kelly C. Frome
 U.S. Navy 1972-1986
TRADEVMAN

 
Peter Kelly Frome
 U.S. Navy 2011-present
Sonar Technician
 

No comments: