Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Break

When I was a child, there was no Spring Break in our school system. Our goal was to complete the school year before Memorial Day, because the majority of residents in our community farmed for a living (including several of our teachers) and we all needed to be available for work by the end of May. I remember hearing some of my acquaintences talking excitedly about their Last Day of School plans to go swimming at a nearby pool (that was warmed by a hot spring that gushed out from the inner regions of the earth). My "last day of school" activities always included rock picking in some wretched field--trudging through the uneven dirt furrows winnowing the biggest stones so that our dad could plant the barley without breaking the drill. Sigh.

But, no rocks for me this year! It isn't the last day of school--it's just Spring Break. It's a very civilized, modern way to let everyone deal with the Spring Fever we've been dealing with since the weather turned nice here in the desert. Our principal calls it March Madness---but not the basketball kind. It's the fights and arguments that always occur this time of year as Daylight Savings Time kicks in and the air turns soft and warm. I guess our students stay up later and are more cranky. Maybe it's the "sap" running in their little tween bodies. Who knows? But there is a lot of conflict to deal with. Luckily, none of us teachers have to deal with it for a whole week. So maybe some of the festering resentments can be allowed to die down, or---for those students who live in close proximity---they can duke it out in their own yards, under their parents' supervision (or not), and I won't have to be involved. The "Break" part in Spring Break is the part I enjoy the most!

This is one of my favorite parts of spring---tulips. Tomorrow, I'm going to a store where last week I saw bouquets of daffodils for sale. I'm loading up! Fresh spring flowers are one of my favorite parts of Easter. Another favorite part is playing "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" in church. So, this week, I'll enjoy my flowers, and go over to practice--with all the stops on the organ opened up full.

 
 
I will be working in the dirt, though. It will be a pleasure, rather than a chore, however. It's planting time here in Nevada. Actually, I'm a little late. I should have planted my tomatoes two or three weeks ago. But, I went to the nursery after my class on Thursday, and I bought the biggest tomato plants I could get---some of them are setting flowers. I paid just a bit more, but it will be worth it when I can eat homegrown tomatoes in May. I've also got basil and marigolds and a couple of little summer squash plants. When I'm shopping for bedding plants, it's worse than shoe shopping. I want one of everything. It takes a lot of discipline to restrain myself to just the amount of plants that will fit in my raised bed.
 
This week I intend to lay in the sun a little, dig in the dirt a little, clean house a little, and be a tourist with my mother-in-law who is visiting down here. It'll be fun! She's one of the best people to hang out with when you need a little touristy fun. So, I'm off to bed--just the first day in 10 more in a row that I won't be setting my alarm!! Spring Break!! Whoo Hoo!!
 

1 comment:

Rozy Lass said...

Well, lucky you! We're expecting more snow this weekend. YUCK! The farmers are eager to get started in the fields but they are still frozen! Phil, the groundhog, was wrong this year. We're not having an early spring, we're having a late winter. Enjoy your break!