Sunday, March 17, 2013

Mail! I've Got Mail!

But I'm not quite sure what to think of some of the mail I've been receiving lately. I'm trying to figure out how I got on these lists. Maybe it was the occasion of my recent milestone birthday...six decades. Maybe it's because I've shopped on-line and ordered something that these other businesses thought was similar to what they offer. Just don't know...but I'm pretty sure I'm not too fond of the implications.

Here's what I've been receiving lately. Magazines. For ladies clothing. But not just any ladies clothing. These magazines target a specific audience. See if  you can catch the drift from their names:

"Soft Surroundings"   subtitled:  my time. my place. my self.

"Willow Ridge"  subtitled: Styles that fit your life

"Woman Within"  (this subtitle will give it away...) Comfort, fit and value for sizes 12W to 44W

Ah! Now you get it, huh? Fashions for the woman who needs it a little looser, a little flowy, a little stretchy. Most of the pants have elastic waists. Many of the blouses are tunics, or have "a generous fit" or emphasize that they have an extended hemline (you know, to be sure and cover all that, that, down-there excess.)

I'm not so sure I like that some marketer somewhere thought I might be just the person for this particular line of clothing. Except.

I have seen several items that really appeal to me. You see, I'm kind of fond of the extended hemline. It does flow nicely over the front where the poochie belly starts to really sag out by the end of the day. And sometimes, a partial elastic waist---just in back or along the sides--is great when I've been wearing something all day, and I've still got to sit in a college class for three more hours. I don't remember feeling like I need a larger waist size as the evening wore on when I was 30 years old. And tunics---I've always worn tunics. I still like them, and now that so many other clothing lines only make body hugging shirts, I'm happy to find a good source for tunics.

Sigh. Well, the good news is, I can still find clothes that I like and that fit. I'm just going to have to resign myself to getting fat lady catalogues in the mail. Someday maybe I won't need them anymore. Or someday maybe at least I'll be able to shop in the shoe sections!

No comments: