Tuesday, April 02, 2013

It's Time to Celebrate

As I sat in my principal's office today, to sign my yearly evaluation page (and it was a good one, yes....) she murmured, "What's the date?" and I replied, "April 2nd, my son was born today." And then I looked at my watch, and continued, "About one hour ago..." She looked up at me, smiled, and remarked, "I guess you don't forget something like that, huh?" She is married, but chose not to be a mother -- she has pointed this out. So, she really wouldn't understand that no matter how many years pass, no matter how old I get--or my children get--that moment of their arrival here on earth is indelibly etched into my mind with the vividness of a technicolor movie. It will never fade and will never grow tiresome to remember that marvelous moment when we first met.


It was a sunshine filled morning in Southern California and he came out hollering. His sisters, two and three years old, were playing in the yard, watched over by a dear friend, and they hurried into the house to see their new brother. Back in the olden days....when I was giving birth...we didn't get sonograms to know which gender the baby would be. (They weren't a routine technology.) However, CoolGuy was unfailing in his predictions. I think he got inspiration from his mother, who was with each of our children in heaven while they awaited the completion of their bodies during the nine months. We "knew" it was going to be a boy, and didn't even have a girl name picked out. He was a very loved little brother. It's kind of amazing he survived all the hugging and loving. He was tough then, too.



 Through the years, he's always been a goer and kept everyone entertained. Today, that is his business: entertainment. He's in a band and he has a recording studio so he produces their music and other groups' music too. He's still a pretty cool cat, just like when he was kid.

 
I'll always think of him as my little boy, no matter how many decades he's been around, though, because that's what mothers do, huh?

 

Energetic and intelligent--he maintains those two qualities as an adult.
 
 
 
 That's him playing the bass in the top part of this photo. Like I said...he's still cool.



Here is his BFF, Leroy, helping in the studio in Baltimore.
 
Happy Birthday Daniel. I'd bake you a cake if I were in Maryland.
 


No comments: