Sunday, February 26, 2012

Having Fun

Wow, I was going to write about it being my birthday (Thursday, Feb. 23) and then I was going to write about what I did on my birthday (Friday) and then--here it is Sunday--and I still didn't write anything!  But, I would like to tell you about my birthday, because it was fun.  Good, you may be saying--one's birthday should be fun. And I have made it a goal for exactly 40 years to celebrate my birthday the way I choose, and to have a happy day despite anything anyone else may, or may not, do to commemorate the event.

This year, being disabled and not at work, I decided to go there anyway and treat my Super Fans to cookies. I've gone on and on about how school children idolize their teachers and lavish us with holiday remembrances. Each year. I put my name up there on the birthday calendar, so the students know when I'm ready to have my special day. I also usually make them do the math to determine how old I am. It's an awe-inspiring moment when they finally get the right answer. Ooooo...she's old---there's a little hush when they figure it out. Wow.

But, anyway, I ordered eleven dozen cookies from the grocery store and then CoolGuy took me up there to pick up the bags and we drove over to the school. We arrived during recess, so the cafeteria was being cleaned between class groups. When there was a table wiped off and ready, I went in and sat down on the bench and arranged the bags of cookies so that kids could come by and pick up a cookie after they got their lunch. The adults in the room were happy to see me (it's been three weeks) and then, the first group of fourth graders appeared in the doorway of the lunch room. They squealed! It was my homeroom and they were so excited to see me. I knew I was getting the stink-eye from the teacher in charge of managing the chaos that is the lunchroom, but I urged the kids to get their stuff settled, and then come by for a cookie.

I got smothered in hugs. There were so many students who just "needed" to hug me. Even kids who I didn't think really liked me that much were excited to see me. Or maybe it was just the free cookies. No, seriously, I was touched at their response. As they were being dismissed, a lot of them lined up to walk past me and give me one more hug. "We miss you!" "When are you coming back?" "Thanks for the cookies." "Happy Birthday!" They'd also sung to me---the whole cafeteria, 4th grade and 2nd grade. It was great, I missed them too.

Afterward, CoolGuy commented, that from his perch up on the stage where he just sat and watched, he was really impressed with how genuine everyone's reaction was: "They really love you, it's obvious."  Well, I really love them, too. And in three more weeks, I'll be ready to go back there to my classroom.  It will be great because I'm so over being an invalid resting at home.  Soooooo over it!!

1 comment:

Rozy Lass said...

No doubt in my mind why they love you. Happy Birthday, and what a fun way to spend it.