Thursday, February 09, 2012

Deja Vu, All Over Again

Last year, when I was lying on this same couch, propping the right foot on pillows and trying to sleep, one of the things that helped me cope was the idea that my foot would someday be healed and I wouldn't have to do that again. So, it was really discouraging in December when the doctor diagnosed the exact same malady in my left foot, to be repaired by the same process.

Actually, the left foot's disintegration was more severe than the right foot, so the repair took longer. However, I don't think the recovery is going to be affected. That's good, because the recovery is icky enough as it is. I've reached a the double-edged milestone: I no longer need the narcotic pain-killer. This is good because it means the pain is greatly reduced. In fact, I only occasionally feel some aching. Unfortunately, (and I don't know if this is related) because I am not taking this heavy-duty drug any more, I no longer sleep. I don't know if the pain-killer has altered something in my brain for this short period of time, or if my inaction just makes me less tired, but I can't go to sleep.

Last night (this morning) I saw the time register 5:07 A.M.. Apparently I must have fallen asleep after that, because I awoke as CoolGuy left around 8:00 A.M.  I'd tried everything: a little bowl of cereal; some ibuprofen to knock back the aching; my bean-bag heated in the microwave to soothe the leg twitches. I even went to bed initially in my own, awesome waterbed (first time since the surgery) to see if that would help me drift off to slumber-land. Nothing worked. I finally got up and went back to my convalescent nest in the living room. It was the first night I hadn't taken the narcotic. But, I didn't want to because I don't need it anymore.

I'm going to try staying awake today as long as I can and see if I can fall asleep tonight. Last year, the doctor offered me a prescription sleep aide, but one of the common side effects I read about is sleep walking--I don't need anything that might cause me to get out of bed and attempt to walk on this cast!! Eek! So, I'll try herb tea and hot packs and soothing music and see if I can't get my poor brain back onto a schedule of unassisted unconsciousness.

1 comment:

Debby said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope your recovery is uneventful and that you will be able to sleep.