Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Four Days


It's been four days since the surgery on my latest Frankenfoot. And, yes, I'm really tired of laying here, thank-you very much. (Actually, right this minute, I'm sitting in the computer chair with my foot propped on the knee-walker. So I'll type quickly, because this isn't very comfortable.) Mostly, I've spent the four days under the influence of a really nice prescription narcotic. So, time is rather indefinite for me. However, I failed to keep track of the time Saturday, and I let the painkiller wear off a little too much before I realized and took the next pill. It was a really ugly hour of excruciating pain. So, I've been careful to not get off schedule again.

The doctor announced to CoolGuy that everything went very well. The surgery was four hours long, and he was impressed with how destroyed this tendon was in comparison to the one on the right foot. Also, he fixed a messed up toe and so that will add one more layer to the recovery. I see him again on Thursday. Right now, I'm not wearing a cast, just a splint and a heavy bandage. I'm very careful to not put any weight on it and not move or flex my foot.

My students were so dear. On Thursday, they were hiding a big fluorescent green poster paper card in various areas around the room, getting everyone to sign it. They took it around to different teachers, and out to recess and got many signatures. I just pretended I saw nothing. Then, the four girls who'd gone to all the effort, presented it to me at the end of the day, and gave me big going-away hugs. They're just so sweet.

Kitty Cat has unexpectedly decided to acknowledge my existence this time. Last year, she refused to acknowledge me at all for weeks. But, right from the first day, she has been cuddling with me. So nice. I need to go lie down again, take a pill, and get my foot up higher than my heart. Amazing the difference that makes.


No comments: