Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Frankenfoot Update

Busy day today...we first bought gas for the truck.  HOLY TOLEDO!! I've been lying on the couch for three weeks and the world has gone crazy again...Wow. Gas prices went way up, huh? 

Then we dropped off a check at my bank. It was the tuition refund from the Spring 2011 semester that was finally processed. Just a mere 13 months after I had to drop the class because of the surgery last spring. Don't even ask. Higher education bureaucracy at its finest. I was only entitled to 1/2 of the tuition as a refund, but at least that was something. However, if I were to do the math, and see what my hourly rate was for harassing them to process this tuition refund request...well, it would be minimum wage probably.

Then we went by the school district offices to turn in my paperwork to receive disability payments from the policy I bought after the first surgery. I had to get a form filled out by my doctor, then I had to fill one out myself, and then the benefits office completes the third form and sends it all in. It will be good to get this processed. The way they pay here, I'll be getting a check on my next payday (Friday) but then I won't be getting anything more until April. That first check then will be small because I'll have only worked a portion of one pay period in March. By the end of April, I should be getting my full salary again. The main reason I went in person to drop off the paper work is my distrust in bureaucratic systems to actually route paperwork to the correct people. I didn't dare mail or fax it. Plus, then I can look a person in the eye, have them check out the forms to see that I have all I need, and that I've written all that I should have to prevent hearing in a couple of weeks, "I'm sorry, we don't have all of your information." Instead, I'd just like to be receiving a check, since I won't be getting one from my employer.

Then, we stopped off for a little lunch. It's always such a production to go somewhere. Everyone stares and tries to not let me know they're staring. So I usually speak to them and smile. They look nervous, and I offer, "It's so much better than crutches!"  Then they relax and sometimes they tell me a little story about their own experience with crutches. Little kids are the best. They just stop short and point. And often want to know if they can have a ride, or how did I get that boo-boo or is it fun to ride?  Ha ha!  Their parents are usually embarrassed. No sweat---I'm fine with little kids. They're totally honest and most grown-ups don't know what to do with that. I do, however...

Well, we got home and it was time for a rest to recover from running two errands and eating lunch. Wow. I miss having stamina. In about 10 days, I get this plaster cast removed and I'll be able to get back in the hot tub and I'll also be able to put my whole self into the bath tub. Whooo-hooo! Little pleasures!  And...scratch the itchy parts. That itch every day. I know, I know...it's a sign of healing. But still...a plaster cast is an evil accessory to wear.  Here's a photo of Frankenfoot 2.0:

No comments: