Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thieves

Someone tried to steal CoolGuy's truck! Saturday, I went out to run errands. (YES!! I can drive again!!) A couple of hours into it, I pulled into Burger King to get a little snack, and as I unrolled the window to tell the disembodied voice what I'd like, I realized the window didn't roll down smoothly, and I heard a scraping sound. Well, I didn't need to roll down the window again the rest of my travels, so I forgot about it till later. We went out to eat that night, and because it had cooled off, and was a pleasant night, CoolGuy unrolled that same window and heard the same scraping sound. I told him I'd heard it, too, and we speculated what could be the cause....probably the fact the there was only a few months left until the truck is paid for--so it's time for things to break!

We came home from our date and he pulled the truck into the garage to diagnose the window problem. I heard him calling to me and when I went out he held up the door handle mechanism to show me where someone had used a hammer and a punch to attempt a break-in! The scraping sound was the door lock cylinder that had been pushed all the way through into the space where the window needed to move up and down.

Somehow, even though they'd punched in the lock, they didn't take the truck. Maybe something or someone scared them off. Maybe they still couldn't get the door open on their first attempt. CoolGuy was messing with it, and discovered that it took him two tries on the broken door handle before the electric lock system gave up with the lock punched out. Don't know why they left it after they'd tried. Don't care!  Just glad that they went away.

Today at church, I overheard some men discussing stolen trucks, and it turns out that in the last two weeks, three people at church have had a truck stolen out of their driveway.  Hmmm...our neighborhood was targeted, I guess. CoolGuy has ordered an additional security system that will holler and squeal if the truck gets touched again. In the meantime, he parked it inside the garage. My old, less-tempting car is in the driveway.

Personally, I'd love to just find a hiding place, and wait there until someone tries it again. Then, I'd jump up with a big stick and pound them till they'd be happy to see the police arrive to rescue them from the deranged old lady.

No comments: