Wednesday, May 25, 2011

First Swim of the Season

I finally got home from work tonight about 7:30. I'd actually been home at 4:10 just long enough to change into something suitable to wear to physical therapy, and I so wished I'd had the time to go jump in the pool then. My clothes were stuck to my skin and I was so uncomfortable. Yes, theoretically, I have an air-conditioned classroom, but---don't get me started...

Anyway, it is finally warming up here. It's weird how this spring has been rather cool, even here in the desert. I was reading my blog last night from several years past in the May entries, and in each of them, early in the month, I mention how swimming season is on, and how much I love coming home from a sweaty day at school and jumping in to relax.  But the thermometer has only gotten up to 90 degrees or more a couple of days so far this year. Today--94.

Anyway, after PT, I had to jet back over to school to write lesson plans for tomorrow morning so I can be in a meeting till noon. It's a good meeting, and not at all a waste of time. But, finally, I could go home and I went straight in to change clothes and go to the pool. It isn't exactly warm yet--maybe 72, but that's warmer than the ocean. And if you just plunge right in, it feels FABULOUS.

I swam back and forth and back and forth and then I leaned on a step and just did kicks. My re-built foot was squeaking "Ooooh---watch it!" but not too loudly. And I was cleared by my doctor to swim as long as I didn't use swim-fins, so I just kept on kicking. It will really help get the strength back in my shriveled calf muscle to kick it across the pool for 20-30 minutes every night. YEA! for swimming! Yea for any activity for which I can ditch the ortho-boot!  Yea for summer!

No comments: