Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Perils of Nomadic Living

We've lived in five different towns since we were married. We've moved within some of those towns so that the number of church congregations we belonged to is higher than five. Those towns have been in four distinctly different regions of the U.S. with correspondingly different eco-systems. And that doesn't count the region where we both were born and raised--again unique from the others in which we've lived since marrying.

This has resulted lately in my developing a sense of not belonging anywhere. I don't belong in the place where I grew up--I've been gone too long and would be unhappy there most of the year because of the harsh winter weather. I can't really go back to California right now because it is prohibitively expensive where I'd like to live, and there aren't openings for generic teachers in the schools where I'd like to teach. I'm living in Las Vegas, but there are at least as many reasons to leave as to stay.
  • I like my house; I don't like my job.
  • I like being in a city again; it's a weird city.
  • I like the weather most of the time; it's colder in the winter than I anticipated.
  • It's great being close enough to my extended family to participate in family events; 1/2 of my children live in the East.
  • I love the West; I LOVE Washington D.C. and the surrounding plethora of American history sites.

    So, I'm in Maryland for a few days, feeling rather "at home" and yet, I know I don't like the summer weather here, and I am a Western girl. The people at church today are long-time friends and it felt like I'd never left. Hmmm...Cool Guy can work here and come home every night. My Maryland teaching certificate expires in July, but it'd be really easy to renew it.

    I don't know where to live. I'll just take down my tent, load up the camels, and be on my way Wednesday, back to the desert for now..
    • 1 comment:

      TK said...

      I can identify! If I have to retire, I'll have to sell my house and move to be able to afford to live. But if I move by my children, they're all young enough that they might relocate. So I considered moving close to siblings who are more settled, but where they live is too expensive!