Saturday, April 21, 2007

Am I Out-numbered?

I realized today that I have a skewed outlook on life. Since becoming an adult, I've spent the overwhelming majority of my time in the company of children or teens. As a result I just assume that every other adult lives life with the underlying theme of "How does this affect children?" or "I should be setting a good example, I'm the grown-up" or "Watch out how you speak/act because children are here."

I don't know what made me think of it today, but it struck me that the entire reason for Las Vegas to exist is to indulge the fantasy life of adults. This is the city where people come to act badly--on purpose. And do so loudly and proudly and go home with pictures.

Here I am working every day trying to indoctrinate (yes, I'll admit it) young people to act unselfishly toward others, be kind, work hard for the future, develop social responsibility and enjoy intellectual curiosity. But I'm surrounded by a community that exist to facilitate hedonism and debauchery.

Later I realized that I don't have to live in Las Vegas to be working in a place populated largely by adults that don't value most of the things I'm trying to foster in my students. Hmmm...

No comments: