Wednesday, May 07, 2014

More Birds

I left the temple last night just as twilight was fading into black. The air was fantastic. It was comfortable, with a little breeze, and the half moon was shining directly overhead. As I stepped through the doors into the night, I realized that birds were swooping through the air above me. I stood there transfixed as a dozen nighthawks wheeled and twirled and swept up and down through the spotlights illuminating the spires. They were scooping up the insects attracted to the bright beams, up there next to the big rock mountain. All around was darkness, except for the glowing white towers.It proved to be an irresistible lure for the bugs, making it a real Vegas Buffet experience for the birds.

I just waited there, my head tilted up and watched the hawks silently arcing through the air, flapping wings once or twice in each cycle, swirling in and out of the streams of light. They were so graceful and powerful. It was a magnificent event of choreography with so many birds circling round and round, each in its own pattern and avoiding collisions with the precision of the Thunderbirds performance team from the Air Force base just a few miles north.

I realized as I watched, my mind serene from the time I'd just spent inside, that all of God's creatures can come to the temple to be nourished---one way or another.


No comments: