Tuesday, May 06, 2014

It's That Time of Year Again!

I had just stepped out of the shower when I first heard it. I didn't really think much about it while I toweled off and spread lotion on my arms. But, when I sat on the edge of the bed to smooth the emollient on my pathetic feet, I realized that it was happening right outside the window.

Sure enough, when I peeked through the blind slats, there it was: a mockingbird--perched on the lowest branch of the short palm, shrieking and hopping from foot to foot in agitation. It could only mean one thing--Kit Kat must be outside.

Poor thing. She has a steady routine. In the morning, CoolGuy lets her out in the backyard. She steps over to her special place and nibbles a little grass. Then, she strolls over to various locations near the tree and sniffs this and that. She has a path around the perimeter of the pool, stopping off at each patch of plant life to sniff and check...whatever...and then move on to the next station.

Well, looking out the window, I realized that Kit Kat was trapped in the first stage of her pathway around the pool. The bird was now perched on the edge of the chaise lounge. Then, as I watched, the shrieking bird jumped down to the cushion and hopped around hollering in triumph or rage--difficult to interpret. I realized that Kit Kat was cowering under there.

So, I hustled to the patio door, and as I turned the lock tumbler, the kitty shot out from under the lounge and rushed toward the door, followed by the extremely agitated bird. I opened the door and Kit Kat dashed in between my feet and the frustrated birdie realized I was there and abruptly switched directions and landed up in the tree.

Poor Kit Kat retired to the bedroom where she is now recovering from the morning trauma. The mockingbird is still out there, singing her triumph song, waiting for the next encounter...

No comments: