Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Irresistable

Today, I had an afternoon sub so that I could go to the foot doctor. Yeah, who'd guess I'd be going to the foot doctor, right? Today, it was to check on the progress of the right foot--it is good, very little pain left. I'm to still wear the boot and see how it feels after five days. Then, if the swelling and pain stay away, I can take it off and go back to shoes. Second, the left foot needed a little podiatry attention. Two of my toes needed fixing a little. So, I left there with a numb left foot, and a booted right foot, and while I was still pain-free, I stopped at my favorite place in the world to browse: Whole Foods.

Now, I don't go there often, because the three stores here in Sin City are all located far, far from my neighborhood. Plus, the prices are ridiculous! However, my trips to the foot doctor are usually my excuse to go in there and admire organic vegetables, and more mushrooms than I knew existed. I also like to marvel at the vast number of cheese varieties--who knew? I buy a few things each time: usually whatever fresh vegetable is in season (today was asparagus) and I get a few selections from the olive bar (pitted Kalamata and some stuffed green ones). Then...I look over the prepared food selections. Sigh.

I can totally resist buying a new purse. In fact, I don't enjoy it at all when my purse wears out and I have to replace it. It's such agony to find one that is just right--not too big, not too small, not too heavy, not enough of the right little spaces. I don't even spend time in the shoe department any more...it's just too sad. But I can barely resist sampling the amazing dishes that the cooks in the Whole Foods kitchens create. Golden beet salad!  Charred cauliflower with ginger and red onions! Roasted Brussels sprouts marinated in rice wine vinegar and bacon bits! Lemon capellini with capers!

So, knowing that I was to go home, lie on the couch, prop up my freshly doctored in-grown toenails, and rest, I purchased a couple of to-go servings of two of those delights, and this evening, CoolGuy can load up the plates, and toast and butter a couple of little ciabbatta rolls (Walmart) and we'll feast. Yes, food, glorious food, is irresistible.


No comments: