Saturday, May 10, 2014

First Day!!

I came home from a friend's bridal shower this afternoon. I was hot and sweaty. I looked out in my backyard, and there beckoned the glimmering pool. So, I went out there, stretched out on the chaise lounge and got myself even more hot and sweaty (insurance). Then, I jumped in.

Why, yes, it was a bit chilly. But, I've swum in the ocean that was much chillier. The pool was actually fabulous! And, one can leap about, and run in place, and do jumping jacks, and not a bit of pounding occurs to the stupid feet! So, I lept and ran and jumped. It was delightful to get out there and get my blood pumping, and my limbs flinging around, and some muscles and tendons stretched and limbered.

I've been wearing the walking cast again since Thursday. I took it off the week before after all the stitches were removed. The doctor said to wear it for my comfort. And for about five days, my foot felt all right. I was still wearing a compression ankle-Velcro-y thing, and, of course, my shoe inserts and my hiking boots. Then, I decided to wear a different pair of shoes to school on Monday, this week. But, I forgot to put on the compression thing. By noon I was in agony. I had CoolGuy bring over the bandage. But even with my foot propped up all through lunch and the compression bandage, my foot was so painful--deep, achy pain. I went home, iced it and propped it up for a couple of hours. The next morning it was fine. I wore all my accessories, and the hiking boots, but afternoon, again---I felt like I'd like to just lop off the foot. Total agony. Wednesday morning I called the doctor's office and left a message (it was surgery day.) I got a message back that afternoon instructing me to come in on Thursday morning, first thing. So...he looked it all over, agreed it was swollen and a little warm, but said that the scar was healed nicely, no obvious infection or anything. Back in the boot---take a steroid pack. I'm going back next week.  Blah.

So, the pleasure of the pool cannot be emphasized enough! There is no need for foot protection. The feet are just hanging there, undisturbed by gravitational forces. Plus, with the water as cool as it is (about 73 degrees) it is also an excellent temperature for the swelling. Ahhhh, once again--swimming--best thing ever!

No comments: