Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ore-Gone

I just returned from a three day visit in Oregon with my daughter. She and I drove over to the coast to enjoy the view and the food. It was an awesome vacation! We slept late, ate delicious meals and talked and talked and talked!

Our original plan was to go whale watching one day, but the sea was quite rough, so the boat canceled. We watched the boat as it was coming in from an early morning fishing trip. We were standing on the cliff, watching the surf as the boat approached the harbor mouth. It was quite a challenge for the captain to time his entrance so as avoid being bashed against the rocks in the narrow path of the tiny harbor there. As we watched them try, and then try again, before backing off and waiting, we figured we weren't going to be watching whales out on the ocean that day. And that's fine---I'm sure I'd have heaved up my entire seafood omelet while boating on those roiling waters.

We'd eaten our breakfast at the restaurant that was part of the motel where we stayed. Usually, I'd hesitate to get a meal at a motel restaurant, but, remember---I'm in Oregon---this particular restaurant was rated quite highly. It didn't disappoint.

#1 We ate in a room that was perched on a cliff above a small beach scattered with mossy rock formations.

#2 On the spruce-covered hill that rose up sharply from the south edge of the beach,  a solitary bald eagle held his vigil on craggy dead branch of the tallest tree, silhouetted against the blue sky.

#3 There are no "bad" seats in the restaurant. Every seat is along the window, and they provide binoculars so that you can scan the horizon for whale spouts. Or, you can get a good view of the eagle.

#4 Oh, and the food is superb. I mentioned my omelet--it was stuffed with crab, shrimp and cheese. Yea. I know. My daughter had eggs Benedict and it was tempting to just pick up the plate and lick off all the remnants of the Hollindaise sauce.

And this wasn't the only great place to eat. We passed by several oyster bars and crab shacks. Ultimately we ate dinner twice at a place called Gracie's Sea Hag. Oh my. We were totally sated and could hardly waddle to the car. So we ate there the next night, too!

And then we went back to the motel where she indoctrinated me to the delights of Downton Abbey. We watched the first six episodes of Season One on her computer. Finally, we had to go to sleep. But only total exhaustion made me give up before episode seven. Dear me...addictive T.V.

In short, we talked and ate and laughed and talked and ate and laughed. I'd booked this trip last fall to celebrate my birthday early. My two daughters had come out to the Oregon coast for one of their birthdays last Spring, and it sounded so nice, I decided I'd come myself. It was such a great time.

Apparently, I bring the Mojave Desert sun with me whenever I go to Oregon. It shined all day on Sunday and, while normal to me, it was absolutely spectacular for the residents of this area to have sunshine all day!! In February!! Glad to be of help...

So, if you're looking for a very nice getaway---go to the coast of Oregon. The scenery is stunning with trees, ocean, moss and ferns. You can tour the Tillamook cheese factory, and enjoy driving through the green, green pastureland speckled with happy cows and free range chickens. You can (my favorite) sit by the ocean and smell and hear and watch the water. You might even see whales! And it doesn't matter what time of year you are there. Most of my trip, it was overcast and drizzling. Didn't matter---it was green and beautiful and birds were everywhere.

Plus: remember! You're in Oregon. Every meal will be delicious and delightful. And you can have a seafood weekend (like I did) or just indulge in freshly grown food of every variety, prepared by passionate cooks, into a magnificent meal that will give you a vision of the true meaning of that Deadly Sin of gluttony. Sigh. Oregon is the tasiest state.


I'm standing on the balcony outside our room. This is the same beach you are perched above while in the restaurant.
 
 
 I'm sure you've seen the iconic pillars of rock at Cannon Beach. They're iconic because they are very imposing, picturesque and beautiful.
 
 
This is a motto hanging in the restaurant, just above the window-wall. It's my motto, too.
 
 
Doesn't she look like a fun person to spend three days with? She is!!


No comments: