Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Hey...Wait a Minute...

I signed up today to be part of a focus group in the school district. We're going to discuss the new teacher evaluation system that was voted into law the last time our legislature met, two years ago.

I'm sure it seemed like a grand idea to someone. It would really hold those lousy teachers to account and reward those great teachers. Finally, something concrete instead of that whatever system that was in place before this terrific new idea came to be.

The new evaluation system uses the test scores of the students as 50% of the evaluation criteria for the teacher. Every state has a summative test near the conclusion of the school year that students take. And already these test scores have been used to evaluate the effectiveness of each school as making "Adequate Yearly Progress" with the stated goal of having each and every student pass the test above a certain cut score by the year 2014.

Yes, each and every student. Including those who have a individual education plan (IEP) that acknowledges that those particular students are not able to work at the grade level as their same-aged peers and so are being taught at the pace in which they can learn and succeed.

Well, now, the Powers That Be have determined there is a bit of a glitch in their awesome new teacher evaluation system. There are only certain grade levels that take a test that can be used in the evaluation plan. And how does one evaluate the P.E. teacher? Or Art teacher? or librarians? Hmmm...

E-x-a-c-t-l-y. Now there is a new effort to discuss with the teachers and administrators---or the people who actually work in the school systems---to get some imput as to how to implement a workable teacher evaluation system that might actually address the real job that teachers do in a school. We all agree that evaluations must occur---every dollar devoted to the public school system is from taxes and we must be accountable. But, because everyone once attended school, everyone thinks they are an expert on schools. So laws get passed that don't account for what goes on in schools, in reality.

I'm not afraid to be evaluated, but I want it to be a fair evaluation. I want someone to come in and see what I do and what materials I have with which to do it. I want them to see how my day goes, and how students respond, or not, to my lessons. I want them to really look at how the money is spent in my district, and what the priorities are, and then decide what is fair, and if my teaching practices are up to standard. I want them to be aware of Realville before they presume to tell me how my job should be done, and how I should get judged for my work.

 Come on down, lawmakers: join my world and then you can use that information to hold me accountable for our tax dollars. I welcome you.