Friday, February 22, 2013

Getting to the Point

Well, remember my "love note" from the student who pointed out that I "don't teach much writing" but she likes my class anyway?  She wrote each of her teachers a special Valentine's letter. When I got back to school yesterday, one of my co-workers came over to show me her Valentine greeting from the same girl. Good thing we all really like her...

Dear [Ms. Other Teacher],

You've actually made learning math really fun. You've inspired me to be a math teacher. I know your single, but try to find yourself a man. I mean you're 35 years old. Well, have a great Valentines.

Love...

Uh, huh. She really did say that! Oh. My. My friend said that it's a good thing that her boyfriend (she does have one...) just laughed. I mean, we all just cracked up. Even my friend! It was totally awesome. It made my letter seem so tame.

I'm quite sure that this student's mother did not read these notes. I'm equally sure that Mom would have vetoed them and would be totally humiliated if she knew of them. Good thing Mom didn't know, because then we wouldn't have had such a big laugh.

Don't ask a fourth grader what she/he thinks. They will definitely tell you. And it will be the unvarnished truth as they see it. So, don't ask and they won't tell. Well, sometimes they will tell. Especially if you didn't ask them.

No comments: