Friday, April 13, 2012

Seriously? A Week? That Long?

There have been many things occurring in the week since I last posted and I can't believe that this much time went by without me writing anything down! Now, there's too much! But I'll post some of it here.

Today, again, I LOVE my school. I mean the one where I work. We held the big Pep Rally for our CRT testing which will begin next week. That is the state test that ranks us as a good school...or not. This is the highest-stakes high-stakes testing we endure each year. It's a grind and we work so hard all year to teach our students and we despair when the test comes along and they struggle. But not all of them struggle! We have some very competent students, too. But, the pep rally...

Each year we have a theme and this year it was The Olympics. We've been singing a song called "Push It to the Limit" all year, and we had a very fine rally, indeed. Each of the lower grades adopts an upper grade to support. Our class had to come up with a name of a country for our class, a motto and our flag colors. While I was out with the Franken Foot 2.0, this information needed to be decided. Here's what my students voted for, while I away:

FROMERICA
Capital city: Brokenfootopolis
Motto:  "Break a Leg!"

When my sub came by the house to tell me the results, I laughed very much. What a sense of humor! And they're nine years old! I love them!  Here's our flag:



Each student's name is written on the cast (get it: people sign your cast??) (Took me a minute...) Now is this hilarious or what? It is a giant flag that is probably four by four feet. We love it, and we're all fired up for the Big Test. Too bad the state doesn't get us the results till school is out. But, we have a very stable population and most of our students will back next fall and we can pat them on the back and give them congratulations for the job they're going to do.  



No comments: