Sunday, April 22, 2012

Inaugural Swim of the Season

Announcing: today I went swimming. It was the Official First Day of Swim Season, 2012. Thank you, thank you. The temperature reached 98 degrees on my patio this afternoon. Previous to this record high for the year, I'd been sitting poolside, reading the paper, getting a little sun on my pasty white, flabby, pathetic, scarred feet and legs. It was awfully close to that 98, I realized as the sweat dripped off my face onto the comics. So, I realized that the only solution was to get in the pool for a bit.

I knew it would be fine, because according to the pool thermometer on the heater unit, the water temperature has been steadily climbing from the uninviting 39 degrees it had dipped to sometime in December. Yesterday, I saw that it had reached 73. I've been swimming in the ocean in the summer in water cooler than that.

I stepped down the stairs and pushed off into the center of the pool, and after my initial little gasp, it was GREAT!! I swam back and forth, got out, dried off, laid on the chaise lounge for a bit and got back in when I felt the sweat sliding off my brow again.

So, the summer has officially begun. Or at least the swimming part of it. In one week I visit the foot doctor again. The goal is removal of the boot to be replaced by an actual shoe. (Two shoes, at once!! Imagine that!!) So, life is good.

No comments: