Monday, June 14, 2010

FrankenFeet

We went to the foot surgeon today for the first post-op visit. They took X-rays and we could see the wires that go into my toes about two inches, and then they removed the bandages. I took photos because I wanted to share, but you may not want to look. It's quite graphic. They'll be at the end.

He ended up removing the wire from alongside my big toe. Its purpose was to hold the toe straight up and down and keep it pushed over toward the other toes. He said he "released" [cut] the tissue that was grown over my joint that kept my big toe pointing the wrong direction, and, when I asked, replied that it should now remain straight because he also severed the tendon along the instep of my foot that pulled the toe outward. He removed a piece of it so it won't grow back. The second and third toes also have wires coming from them to keep them straight while their tendons and joint tissues regrow. The tendons were cut and shortened to pull them back into alignment.

He pointed out that he has never had a patient's foot return to the messed up condition after this procedure has been performed....so don't be the first. (He's an amusing doctor...really--very sweet.) I go back on July 5th and I will be in the foot cast until then. Blah. At that time he will remove the other wires from the two toes. I should be back in the pool about a week after that.

It still hurts quite a bit. We went to lunch after the doctor and I propped up my foot in the booth. But the effort of walking the amount that I did, and having my foot down while we drove, made it ache. One amusing discovery is that now I walk slowly enough for CoolGuy. For years we've had this disparity between my longer legs' natural stride and my impatient "teacher walk" and his slightly shorter stride and current foot pain caused by pinched back nerves. We'd be out somewhere, and very quickly I'd realize that I was steps ahead of him. Well, that's not a problem now. Also, I got a hang-tag from the DMV, so I can choose handicapped parking spaces for the next two months.

Patience is not one of my best qualities. It's in my DNA to hurry. This foot/cast does not hurry. It isn't hurrying to heal and I can't hurry when I move about. So, I am glad that I don't have big plans for the next month, because they wouldn't be happening anyway. I will take slow, deep breaths, and saunter carefully from room to room. I'll go over to the church on Thursday to see if I can figure out how to use the organ with this cast thing in the way (I'm not proficient on pedals, so I just prop my feet on the bench edge...hmmm...maybe, maybe not with the storm trooper boot.) I ought to be able to play. I hope so. Again, breath in, breath out. Stop and smell the flowers. Sit and rest. Heal, heal, heal.

The yellow knobs are just cushions on the end of the wires. One came off when the bandage came off. He's put it back on before re-bandaging it. The wires are the diameter of coat hangers.



My little toe had a bone spur removed. You can see where he wrote "yes" preoperatively to assure that the surgery was on the correct foot. It is very bruised and swollen, yes.





He removed the wire that is protuding from the side of my foot, alongside my big toe. Then he wrapped up the toe in a soft splint to the rest of my toes. This should help the healing. It only stung a little to have him pull out the wire (about two inches) but it was a creepy feeling knowing he was doing it.


So, there you go: FrankenFeet. BWWWAAAAHHHAAA.

1 comment:

skyeJ said...

EEEW!! That looks really cool. It also looks like it would hurt A LOT without the wonders of narcotic pain medication.