Monday, May 17, 2010

Thirty-Six Years

May 17, 1974
to
May 17 2010
...by the numbers...
  • 5 children
  • 2 tonsilectomies
  • 2 eye surgeries
  • 5 casts
  • stitches and stitches and stitches
  • 2 years of dancing lessons
  • 3 years of soccer
  • 6 years of Little League
  • 3 elementary schools
  • 3 middle schools
  • 2 high schools
  • 3 years of swim team
  • 12 years of band
  • 2 Eagle Scouts
  • 2 scholarships
  • 12 colleges
  • 3 missionaries
  • 1 Peace Corps volunteer
  • 2 weddings
  • 4 grandchildren
  • 6 dogs
  • 12 cats
  • 4 birds
  • 9 rats
  • 1 bunny
  • 1 gerbil
  • 1 snake
  • 1 goat
  • 6 chickens
  • mucho fish
  • 4 states
  • 6 cities/towns
  • 14 cars/trucks
  • 5 Harleys
  • 1 row boat
  • 1 canoe
  • 1 trampoline
  • 3 bicycles
  • 1 waterbed
  • 1 sewing machine
  • 3 washers
  • 2 deployments
  • we stopped counting arrivals and departures
  • 3 + decades of kisses, arguments, laughter and tears

Here's hoping for innumerable good times to come.

2 comments:

LProfeta said...

A comedian, too. At this time,in the third quarter of my planned 100 years of life I decided that I would live spiritually, simple, and in truth, I also thought about mortality as everyone does and decided not to fear the next phase of my life, I stared at Oak trees often and wanted to pass like a leaf that fell to earth, seedded and became a oak tree in its next living experience, all fear then vanished to indifference, I became happy as never before, simple was the answer and now I give by my example, surity.

LProfeta said...

Buddhist readings saved me from worldly ways, I read that to stop my suffering I had to stop craving, craving caused suffering, I was craving to get even with a ex-wife and suffering, in a miracle moment I gave up the craving and moved into happiness, my past did not exist, guilt gone, worry gone, the future was not here, I live in the happiness of my present, like "Charly" my Dachshund who sleeps on my bed, he only looks forward fixed.I traded it all for happiness, of which I never tire.