Friday, May 07, 2010

Being a Mother

Today we made Mother's Day cards, and I used the example of a card I wrote about my mother. We wrote cinquain poetry to go inside of the card, and, as usual, they ask me if I'm sending it to my mother and I tell them that she has died. They all say, "Oooh..." It is sweet and I explain that she was old and very sick, and actually was looking ahead with eagerness to being in Heaven with my dad who'd died twenty years before. It is an interesting conversation we have. But they are young enough to take it at face value and many of them also believe in Heaven and God and so we're good.

But, also, at lunch, I'd had a short conversation with a co-worker whose children are growing up faster than she'd imagined--I've taught both of them here in this school--and she was exclaiming about how she just wants to slow it all down a little. Yeah, I know what she meant. I really didn't resent any age of motherhood. I was totally immersed in diaper-land for 11 years, but I don't recall just grinding my teeth and wishing it would end. I do recall being quite thrilled when it did finally end, but I was "in the moment" while it occured. It did just seem to go by too fast. I know I've lamented this before, but no one prepares you for all the time you spend as a parent of adults. It seems like you're going to be important to them forever. But it expires so quickly. There you are one day-- irrelevant. Sigh.

Here's a great quote I read from an article about a book I'll have to buy. My daughter linked me to the book review. I'll link you. It sounds awesome. I wish I'd thought to write all of the great things these women wrote. But...the quote....(it was about understanding things from God's perspective when you're a mother:

If it were up to me, they wouldn’t be asked to suffer a day in their lives.
Which is why it isn’t up to me.

Isn't that true? I always feel that way! Still! Even though they are adults. I want to rush in and fix everything and be the buffer between them and bad stuff. Sigh.

Motherhood...who knew labor and delivery would be the easy part?

No comments: