Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Last Day

It was the last day for students in this school year at my building. I word that carefully because I am acutely aware of my friends who are just starting their final 10 weeks (!!) of school at the year-round building I left. I really, really feel for them. Again, school ended JUST in time. No felonies were committed by teachers in our building! I came awfully close with a couple of the boys I dealt with daily. I just continue to wonder how in the world some of the students I've taught are ever going to have a successful adulthood. Probably some of them won't. I mean, I read in the newspaper about people in their early twenties who are arrested for really terrible crimes, and also some really incredibly stupid behavior and I figure that I could probably tell you how they acted in fourth grade...

But enough of that---tomorrow is another day. Next year it'll all be better. I'll be in total control. I'll have some alternative behavior plans. I'll train them better. They'll be easier to deal with. Pigs will fly. Hell will freeze over. I figure that as long as I can wake up each morning and feel positive and optimistic that TODAY will be a GREAT day and things will go well, then I'll keep being a teacher. Last year, honestly, I stopped feeling that way. I knew that each day would be the same nightmare as the day before and it took a lot of work to get out of bed and go to that school. But--this year: everyday I felt like Pollyanna: today will work!! And it mostly did.

So, now I have two days of filling out data folders with information that no one will read next year, and completing reports that are "legal documents" that go in their permanent files and no one will ever look at again. Then I'll put away all the junk, clean off the tops of all my desks, filing cabinets, etc. (By then, you realize it'll be August....) No seriously, I'll be all done on Friday afternoon, I'm sure.

Next week, I'm going to San Diego for a couple of days with Cool Guy who is going to some convention and that will be the official start of SUMMER--first one in four years.

2 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Well, when you come to Seattle you can at least experience the continuation of winter. It was 50 degrees and raining here today.

Earth Sign Mama said...

I noticed you had cold weather again--blah---it was not normal for us either. It was only 85 and cloudy all day. Twelve raindrops fell. Seattle has had dreadful weather since you moved there. Weird.