Saturday, April 05, 2014

Keep On Trying

 
As I took this photo, I put up a sheet of white paper to obscure the name of the student who made this object. I don't want to ridicule her. Nor do I post this to make fun of her work. She worked hard to create this and it is posted on a bulletin board in the hallway. It is part of a board to celebrate reading, and each of the students who contributed made a 3-D or some kind of functional object to go on the collection. This little sweetheart is instructing you to "Open Me." Yeah...but, as you can see, she has one of those brains that mixes things up from what she intends. She isn't going to get better. However, she is a kind, hard-working, friendly, cheerful person. We work and work and work with her. She gets all kinds of special services. Her parents do their best, too. But, between language barriers and culture and the scrambled circuits in her head, we end up with this sort of thing and I don't know what else to do. (Although...ahem...if she were in my room, I'd have checked her spelling before I let her go on to the final product.) (She's in another grade now.) Being a teacher is hard work for a lot of reasons. It is very satisfying and rewarding, too. But one of the hardest parts is, that despite all of our efforts, some people are doing all that they can and...it's not going to get better.
 

No comments: