Sunday, May 20, 2012

Divine Foods...continued

Oatmeal. Yes, I mean the stuff you cook in a pot on the stove. I'm rather fussy about my oatmeal. There is only one way I like it. First, I boil the water. Then, I add the oatmeal. If you bring the oatmeal to boil with the water, it will be creamy and mushy. That is probably the main reason many people don't even like oatmeal. They've only eaten the creamy, mushy sort. Also, it is important to use Old-fashioned oatmeal--not "Quick-Cooking" or...bleah--instant. I know--I'm being a snob. This is a matter of personal taste, I recognize. However, as nice as it is that one can now buy oatmeal at various fast-food places, the product they serve you is not even close to the oatmeal I love.

Oatmeal is a heritage food. I have a great-grandmother named Agnes Stewart. Born and raised in Scotland, then emigrated to America. However, the version I eat is far removed from the oat porridge that she would have served or eaten. Apparently, oats were the staple of Scotland because the growing conditions there were too cold and damp to make wheat a successful crop. But, oats can grow in a harsh climate--I know--my dad grew them on our farm. Oats are like candy to horses. If you wanted them to come down from the pasture to you (rather than you chasing after them) walk out there with a couple of handfuls of oats in a bucket, and give it shake. They'll trot right over for the treat.

Here's a great quote: "Samuel Johnson referred, disparagingly, to this [that the Scots grew and ate oats in lieu of wheat] in his dictionary definition for oats: "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people." His biographer, James Boswell, noted that Lord Elibank was said by Sir Walter Scott to have retorted, "Yes, and where else will you see such horses and such men?"

Plus, oatmeal has been proven to reduce cholesterol, it is a fabulous source of fiber, it helps to lower blood pressure,and it is 100% natural--they grow it, they roll it, and you eat it. It is spectacularly inexpensive. And, truly, it is delicious. Also, you can cook a pot of it, eat some today, and refrigerate the rest for each of the other mornings this week. Simply microwave a small dish of it each day and you can have hot, delicious whole-grain cereal for breakfast every day. You'll be filled with nutrition and energy, frisky as a young colt for the entire morning.

About twice a month, CoolGuy and I will have a supper of oatmeal and toast and fruit. I'm tired, it's late and maybe, we had a big lunch. Then, breakfast for dinner is perfect. CoolGuy likes to add brown sugar and dried cranberries with the milk. I prefer white sugar and milk. But, it is one meal you can paunch yourself with and not feel a bit of regret. My children have introduced me to steel-cut oats. They take a bit longer to cook, but everyone gives them rave reviews. I'll have to try it soon.

My favorite breakfast grain is a versatile cook's helper, too. I add oatmeal to meatloaf as the binder. It is much chewier than breadcrumbs or chunks of bread, and almost tastes like the ground meat itself.  And is there anything better than oatmeal cookies? Unless it is oatmeal cookies with raisins? Or maybe No-Bake cookies made with oatmeal? I love to make and eat granola, too, which is basically raw oatmeal coated with delicious honey, oil and mixed with every nut or dried fruit you wish. Sigh....oatmeal. It's perfect in so many ways.



1 comment:

Rozy Lass said...

We are kindred spirits on OATS!!! Yeah for cooked cereal. (I refuse to call it mush, as my older sister does.)