Sunday, March 20, 2011

Family Time

I got to be grandma at school! I read a book to the second grade, and I dropped in on preschool to meet the teacher.

I also went to a really nice wedding and saw most of my brothers and sisters and many of their children and grandchildren later on at a restaurant. My brother, the father of the groom, is an excellent and generous host. The whole shebang was terrific and lovely and he should be congratulated. I am always impressed at his general unflappable-ness. He is never short with people (in my presence) and he is pleasant and thoughtful. He was pretty much like this as a little kid, too, as I recall. I was ten when he was born, and I always enjoyed having him as my milking companion because he was so mellow.

Here are some highlights of the day.
  • The lovely Danish accent of the grandfather who conducted the wedding ceremony.
  • The tall and gorgeous bride and ever-smiling groom
  • the mothers with smiles and tears simultaneously on their faces
  • the freezing cold wind that whipped around us as we awaited the couple's presentation out on the temple grounds
  • the puzzled looks on faces as yet another sister of the groom's father was introduced to the new inlaws (there are six of us...four in attendance)
  • spending relaxed time eating a meal that none of us had to fix and chatting with my children and grandchildren
  • how many wedding receptions have you attended where everyone paused partway through to triumphally sing the fight song of their favorite college that had just won a basketball game, ensuring a trip to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen bracket???

The best line of the night:

We drove through the city from the restaurant to the reception center and one adult cousin says to another adult cousin, "What are all the freakishly dressed people walking along the street doing?"

"Oh," came the reply, "It's the Lady GaGa concert tonight at the arena."

"And you're not there? I can't believe it!"

"Yeah, I had to decide...do I want to spend the evening with a bunch of crazy freaks? Or do I want to go the Lady GaGa concert?"

Family---it's the best!!

No comments: