Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Where Have You Been?

Well, I haven't been to London to visit the Queen. But I have been to the Las Vegas airport (three times), soccer practice, a baby shower, a wedding shower, lunch with my friend, dinner with my son's family, and church with them too, back to the Salt Lake airport, to my school, to a "training for trainers" writing seminar and, whew...home to blog.

This weekend I took a whirlwind trip to Utah to do some of those afore mentioned things. A couple of glitches occured on the trip:
The flight on Friday was delayed by 5-- no--51/2, no--now it will be six hours late...as I waited at the desk and we agreed that they would just put me on the first flight out in the morning instead. So, Cool Guy came back to the airport and took me home for a (very) short night in my own bed before we tried the flying-to-Utah thing again.

As I waited in the security line, I realized, with a sudden lurch of my heart dropping into my stomach, that my driver's license was in the back pocket of the pants from the night before, now lying in a chair in my room at home. The only picture ID I had was my cheerful Elementary School Teacher badge. That (and a thorough searching, wanding, poofing of air, wiping my luggage with the little pads, and two trips through the metal detector) got me on the flight finally.

When I landed in SLC, before I'd left the secure zone, I stopped to ask some officials what would be the best recourse for my return trip--since I really, really wanted to be able to return the next day. [My last experience at their security, several months earlier, had been with Sgt. Anal-Retentive who objected to my careless packing of 3.5 ounces semi-liquids...] They said that there were a number of ID alternatives, work badges, passport, driver's lic-----PASSPORT???? DUH!!! I have a passport. It's in my purse. The one that was wanded and swiped and poofed and x-rayed. So, I just flashed that on my return trip and voila--no questions.

While on my 36 hour adventure, I did all those other things too. It was very fun, and is the reason why I made the big move from East to West--family milestones, and fun weekends with the grandchildren participating in their ordinary lives.

No comments: