Thursday, April 03, 2008

First Swim

Today, I jumped in the pool. It was 69 degrees, but entirely tolerable. I think the ocean at Port Hueneme was colder than that most of the time when we'd take our early morning swim.

We have two of the grandchildren visiting this week, and the "little" pool is a popular place. Cool Guy heats up the hot tub to around 97 and gets in with S-Boogie and they play until they're both pruned. Today, I took one of my personal days off from school and so I was home all day to join them. We wanted an object that was floating in the "big" pool, so I just jumped in to retrieve it. I hadn't actually been in the "little" pool long enough to be all warmed up and the water in the "big" pool wasn't that bad. I swam laps for about 10 minutes and then got back into the spa. Which felt very nice in contrast. But, I'll swim again tomorrow, because each day, it just keeps getting a degree or two closer to fabulous. The secret is the amount of time the sun shines on the masonry around the pool warming it up. Also, the fact that it no longer cools off much at night. Our temperatures travel between 50 and 75 these days, so the warmth in the ground keeps the pool water warm. This winter I checked the pool temperature after I'd been circulating the filters and it was 47, brrrrrrrrrrrr.
Summer is a'commin'.

No comments: