Friday, March 06, 2015

We've Gathered the Data

Well, Thursday was an interesting day. And by "interesting" I mean seriously challenging. First, as I walked in the door to the office, the secretary pointed out that the music teacher was out today and there was no sub, so that meant that I didn't have anyone to take over my class during my so-called planning time. Of course, I'd be paid for that inconvenience, since my contract stipulates a 50 minute planning period each and every day. Okay, I could handle it. I said I'd just take my students to the music room and I'd play the piano and they could sing. We'd be fine.

Until I got to my classroom and realized that my piano music folder was at my house ever since I'd left the Christmas program rehearsal with it in my arms. Then, went to the doctor to find I had pneumonia, and then did not return to school until two weeks later when Christmas break was finished. So...we just played some fun games they knew.

But, then---as I got to my classroom, my other co-worker came to say that our third partner was also out today, without a sub. Hmmm...what to do? There were not enough "spare" people to put someone in her room every hour of the day. So, we made an executive decision and simply split her class in half and I took 16 extra students and my partner took the other 16. Whew! That made 46 in my room and 47 in her room.

And, amazingly enough, it went pretty well for most of the day. We switched the kids around a couple of times. I had them work with a partner and write a story to match a picture I gave them. She had people reading books and taking comprehension quizzes on the computer. Most of it was just dandy until about the last half hour of the day. Then, almost instantly, everyone was just OVER IT.

We still had to struggle our way through for 30 more minutes before dismissal. But you could just sense the discontent in the air. I tried changing it up every 10 minutes. We'd read with a partner, then I'd have them change partners. I tried reading them a story. I tried getting everyone up and leading them in a little stretching exercise. But, to no avail. We finally just stacked up all the chairs, and left the room a few minutes early to prevent complete insurrection. They'd just had enough of the crowded conditions and too much closeness with too many friends.

But, we survived! And now we have some firm data: no one should be in a classroom with more than 30 students, ever. Ever. And thirty is actually five too many to be an effective learning environment. Today felt so nice with only one class group at a time.

Oh, and after all that, I still had a three hour (paid...) science training I had to go attend. Really, by the time I dragged myself home at 8:00 P.M. it was time to stop, drop and snooze. I have rarely felt more completely used up than I did yesterday. How many weeks till Spring Break??

1 comment:

Rozy Lass said...

So, how did we learn anything in our crowded classrooms at Encanto elementary school? I remember most of classes being 35-36 students. I don't think it is the number of students, it is the home training and learning readiness of the students. But you're correct in that given the condition of today's students, a teacher can't handle more than 25 in a room. Sad.