Monday, June 16, 2014

Sum, Sum, Summer Time!

I've only been out of school for two weeks, and yet, I've managed to have a lot of fun already! We cheated on the first little trip. We left before school was actually over...Our daughter's graduation from college with her doctorate degree (Nursing Practice----from Oregon Health & Science University) was on the Monday of the last week of school. We flew up on Saturday morning, after I'd spent several really long days that week getting every T crossed and i dotted, so I could return on Tuesday morning, really early, to be ready for the awards assembly and the last day of school. I realize I've already celebrated this event in a previous post, but, I feel like bragging some more.


That was just the first trip of the vacation season! On Thursday, I carefully put everything into secured spaces in my classroom, except for those last piles on my desk, which got dropped into a box and shoved into a closet, and turned in my keys. Then we left Friday morning to travel straight north to attend a lovely piano recital by our granddaughter. She is very skilled, having taken lessons for several years now. Plus, they have a marvelous piano teacher who helped them to write their own song! I'm serious--every student not only played a piece from their lesson books, but then performed a self-composed number. They were all fabulous! What a great night! This is why I live in the West--I want to be able to attend piano recitals by grandchildren.


Talented Pianist

The next morning, we assembled at the church to attend the baptism of our grandson who just turned eight years old. He was baptized by our son, his uncle, and there was a talk by the sister (above) and a talk by Grandma (me). It was a lovely event and afterward, we went over to our daughter's house and feasted in her backyard. We returned to our home the next day, after a visit with both of our children and their children. I had to get back due to a series of doctor appointments I had the following week, but --- again---it is why we live in the West. We can be close enough to go visit for a couple of days, and then go home. 

 

The Hawaiian childhood of his father's family calls for leis on all special occasions. Nice tradition!


Weren't those two kids of ours just getting baptized themselves a short time ago??

Then, my final quick trip to celebrate the beginning of summer:  I went to North County San Diego over the weekend to have dinner with a group of friends. The significant part of that trip is that I go to spend time by the ocean! Sigh....my favorite place. I enjoyed seeing my friends. We ate some so-so Mexican food. (Sorry, but I was expecting better in SoCal.) But then, the next day, I went to visit the sand and waves. It was a lovely day for it, too. It was torture to simply snap a few pics and then leave again. CoolGuy and I have a plot to get back to the ocean again, later this summer. I certainly hope we can pull it off. Someday...I'll live there again--it's a dream.


I call this picture: Happy Feet

I could have stayed there all day. The water was warmer than my beach in Port Hueneme. I needed a boogie board and a swimsuit, and I'd have been a happy girl to go along with the happy feet.

1 comment:

Shellyinsmoot said...

great picture of Sophie!