Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Third Day of School

Wow--it's been sticky and hot in Las Vegas! By 8:50, out on playground duty, I was already feeling the sweat trickle down the side of my face. It felt like Maryland on a bad summer day. We'll all be very happy to return to our "dry heat." But, we've already settled into a sense of routine with the fourth grade. The students adjusted quickly to the classroom rotation. In fact, I had one fellow tell me, as we walked to the crosswalk together, "It makes the day go by quickly when you change teachers."

And, I received a great compliment today: someone told me that their brother was right! Mrs. [Earthsignmama] is the funnest fourth grade teacher! (We'll work on that grammar....) Thanks! It's funny, too, because they've done a lot of work in my room in just three days. And I haven't skimped on the rules at all. In fact, these first few weeks, I'm extra hard on the rules, just so no one gets any ideas about what they can get away with.

After the traffic patrol, I went back to the classroom, picked up my purse, and drove up to a contract ratification meeting for the teacher's union. We listened to a question and answer session with the negotiating team, cast our votes, and I finally got home--eleven hours after I left home this morning. Sigh. Soooo sweaty, too...clothing firmly stuck to my skin.

I peeled it all off, and jumped into the pool. Awwwwwwww...it's even better than the shower, because in the pool, gravity is rescinded. My feet don't hurt. They don't have to do anything but flap along at the end of my legs. Awwwwwwww...KitKat lolled on the lawn and watched me cavort about, sighing loudly. I turned on the hot tub, and went inside to eat.

CoolGuy left for Maryland on Monday, so I've been home alone. I've eaten leftovers all week. I come home, feed the cat, get into the pool, go in and eat, go out to the hot tub, go back inside and crawl into bed. Maybe it's good to be home alone this week. I'm too tired to be sociable.

Tomorrow, we saddle up and ride out again. Hopefully, the humidity will be lower, and this year's monsoon season will end soon. Really anticipating the return of dry....

No comments: