Sunday, January 27, 2013

Saturday, the Special Day

Saturday is my "day off" and so I don't set my alarm. It's such a luxury. However, when I do wake up, sometimes it is just a marathon from that moment on. I woke up at 8:30, and KittyCat was laying by my side. I just stayed put for a while, listening to the radio and petting her. She eventually got up and left, so I, too, got up and got dressed. I sorted the laundry, put in a load, then went to the computer to see what was new on Facebook.  I never post my "status" but I do like to read about other people and enjoy the little jokes and cartoons.

As I sat there, KittyCat came in and started harassing me vocally. She'd meow impatiently and start for the door. She'd already been outside; the door was still open because it was such a lovely morning. But something was really important for me to do. So, I got up and followed her to my room. She leaped up on the bed and stood there expectantly, meowing again for a minute. Obviously, I needed to get back under the covers so she could massage me through the corduroy. Obviously. So, I did. Duh. We had another little moment.

Then, having satisfied the cat, I packed up an envelope of Fun-Stuff-From-Grandma to mail, and went out to the truck. That's when I remembered that a co-worker had pointed out on Friday that my left brake light was not functioning. My neighbor's son was in his yard, and I asked if he'd come over and check it out with me. I got a screwdriver and he showed me how to get the old, burned-out bulb out so I'd know what to replace it with. I thanked him, and took my screwdriver with me. After mailing the envelope (and getting a donut...7-11, you fiends for making us stand next to the donuts while we wait in line for the postal services) I stopped at the auto store.

Yes, yes, it was probably showing off to stand there in the parking lot with my screwdriver and replace my brake light bulb. But, apparently I didn't look too great, because I asked someone at the next parking lot where I stopped, if I actually had two brake lights, and I didn't. So after I went in and picked up milk, bleach and cat food, I tried again. This time, I got the bulb to click in tighter with a satisfying sound. When I asked the guy in a truck behind me to wave if I had two brake lights, he gave me cheerful thumbs up. 

I went home to drop off the milk, and put another load of laundry in, added a little of the bleach, and went out again to go to the library. I'm starting research reports next week, and I need a bunch of books about the specific birds I'm assigning students for their reports. I ended up going to three different city library branches before I could get enough books to do the job. By then, it was starting to get late. I still had to stop for gas, and get a couple of bunches of beets to cook for my lunch salads next week, and stop at yet a different grocery store for the rice puddings I like for dessert. Yes, yes, if I weren't so fussy, it'd be easier, huh? But---the store where I buy the beets also gives me discounts for gas, so I shop there for most things. And the rice puddings are only sold at a tiny market near my school.

And I did, yes I'm ashamed to say...stop at the school for an hour. Well, I dropped off the books and finished copying the homework and stapled it all together, and got everything ready for Monday. This is only scandalous because I didn't leave the stinking school until 7:30 on Friday night. There's a lot of front-loading preparations for the bird reports. But, when I get it all done, then I've got a couple of weeks before I really have to change topics and go in another direction. However....7:30 is a little ridiculous, I know. But, CoolGuy is out of town, and sometimes, I just need the hours at the school.

I finally got home, ate some dinner, dried and folded the rest of the laundry, watched a couple of T.V. shows and went to bed where KittyCat and I cuddled some more. Day off?? How did I function when I had children living at home? When did I find time to do anything? Obviously, I wasn't teaching school most of that time, but it still seems like I had more "spare time" back in the olden days.

No comments: