Saturday, August 06, 2011

Poems

I'm still cleaning off piles of paper from my desk and sorting through pieces of paper in boxes. I found a notebook I evidently first obtained in 1970. It has a interesting assortment of musings and mottos that I apparently liked. Some of them are still relevant.

Here are some poems I wrote that I found in it. I know that they were written between 1971 and 1973, but I can't date them exactly. The first one is about the view from the barn door during the morning milking.

Sunrise
Slowly and carefully
The morning sun
Dribbles its rays on the tips of the mountains.
Then,
Gathering speed and losing caution,
It spills light into the valley
Like a pot of molten gold.

This one is about driving through the marshes between Evanston and Randolph on Highway 89.

Benediction
Ducks on a twilight pond
Kissing "goodnight"
The fading wet image of sunset.

This poem doesn't have a title. But it's the view of the sky in June when the milking is finished and we were just hanging out on the lawn, or maybe playing ball in the field.

As the last of the dragon sunset dies
Down behind the hill,
A single little star peeks out cautiously.
"It's safe now!"
He gleefully calls.
And
one-
        by-
                 one
His pals twinkle out to play.

I think I've already put this poem on here once before. But here it is again. It's about my parents.

To My Parents
Everyday I see
another Chicken Little
Shouting:
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"
How nice
Knowing
That my sky is held firm
By the eternal rafters
Of your love.

I've probably written this one here too, but it was also printed in the New Era in 1974, so I'm quite proud of it and, since I wrote it in this notebook, I'll include it. It's about the weather in Wyoming where I grew up.

Enter October
Wrapped in the feather boa of
The Season's Premier Snowstorm
October makes her entrance.
But, after the introduction,
She drops the frozen front and gleams gold so bright
That wild geese echo the musical applause
Long after the last curtain call
That cuts into November's ice act.

So, here are some remnants of my life that I am glad I kept hauling around in a tattered box. This notebook has managed to survive for 40 years. It remains precious to me. Don't be in a hurry to throw away stuff. Be discerning. Some things will maintain their value through the years. People are in this catagory, too, you know.

No comments: