Saturday, July 31, 2010

Treasures

Here is my newest treasure. I actually bottled them a couple of weeks ago, but they are still sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me to rearrange my pantry closet to make a space for the jars. I got the peaches from my daughter's food co-op when I was in Utah mid-month for a family reunion. She'd asked if I'd be willing to split a box with her, and I decided to get a whole box for myself. They are California peaches, because Utah's won't be ready for a few more weeks. But each and every piece of fruit was beautiful and succulent. There wasn't even a slice of waste. I nibbled on bits of them as I peeled them and put them into the bottles, and they are as yummy as they look. I got thirteen jars from 25 pounds.

It has been so long since I canned anything (not once in the five years I've lived in NV) that I had to go look up on-line the step-by-step directions. And peaches are easy! But, when you don't use a skill, you forget important details. I'm looking forward to getting some tomatoes when we go to the beach for camping in a couple of weeks. My favorite canned tomatoes are made by myself. I've tried every brand, and none are as tasty and satisfying as the ones that come from a jar I packed.

No comments: