Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Marvelous Night

I spent eight hours at school today, Saturday, because I had procrastinated so much work that I needed to spend that much time catching up: correcting papers and writing report card comments. It was awful. Next semester, I promise, I won't procrastinate like that. (uh, huh...)

Anyway I got home and CoolGuy was playing Van Morrison on the surround sound system. It was so terrific and relaxing and energizing and refreshing. I almost completely recovered. I was peeling and cutting up vegetables to cook in the broth from the corned beef I'd cooked last night so that we could have an Irish meal tonight.

I mean, could this have been more appropriate? Playing Van Morrison while cooking an Irish dinner? And you cannot hear Moondance without dancing, can you? I like to cook and dance. No one is watching, except for the cat, and she doesn't ridicule, and you can hum along and do little steps and sashay back and forth. I felt revived from my day of report card-cramming.

So, I tried to find some music on YouTube to link to on this blog, but the only videos were odd people with delusions of grandeur filming themselves while playing his songs. Oh, all right, they weren't all that bad. But no one is as good as the real Van Morrison singing "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "Into the Mystic" or "Have I Told You Lately?" Perhaps it is because these are all musical memories of my teen years and early marriage years, but all of these songs evoke a strong sense of nostalgia and joy whenever I listen. Please go to Rapsody or somewhere and give him a listen, if you don't know what I'm babbling about. He is special and addictive and his songs are fine.

No comments: