Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Poetry Night

I got to help with the younger girls at church this evening. The ladies asked me to come and teach them how to write poetry. So, I gathered up a few teachery materials and took them over. We mostly concentrated on cinquains, where you write a five-lined poem that has a specific number of words in each line: 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 and then you end with a synonym of the first word. They're fun and I have used them with my students quite often. I also had clip art pictures for them to color and cut and glue onto their final products, so everyone left with a beautiful, original poem. We had a great time.

One of the patterns I included in their booklets of poem patterns was the season poem. It has rules, too, but they're probably exclusive to the teacher resource book where I got it. However, I'm quite proud of the two poems I wrote yesterday in anticipation of our poetry night. So I present them to you:

Desert Autumn
 
Fall finds me
Still sweating
And swimming
But cools October down
Till we wear sweaters and
Put socks on our feet.
 
 
 
Fall
 
Fall rolls in on
A jack-o-lantern
Costumed kids collect candy
And autumn leaves twirl down
The sun sets sooner
And coats are worn
By chilly children.


No comments: