Monday, August 13, 2012

Need An Idea for a Wedding Reception?

I went to the church on Saturday to practice for the Sunday hymns, and there was a wedding reception being created. I don't know who the bride and groom are. Apparently, there were a number of weddings on our side of town scheduled, and this couple had to book our building, because the buildings in their stake were all spoken for already. It's weird living here in almost-Mormonland, because the geographic size of the stake boundaries are so small, compared to most of the other cities in which I've lived. But, the decorator was busily working and I just wandered around admiring the theme.

The bride is enamoured of the "country" motif, and the groom, although not-so-much, signed off on the decor. It wasn't over the top, but actually really tasteful and I just wanted to share a few photos because it was so cute. And, hey, maybe one of you out there is planning a wedding and would like some ideas.


For example: the canning jar chandelier! I know I've seen this on some website, so it isn't original, but it is adorable. In the bottom of each jar is a battery powered votive candle. When it is dark, it will be illuminated and very attractive.


I didn't take a good close-up of these tables, sorry, but the centerpieces are also a series of jars, painted with matte paint, inside and out, in varying shades of brown and tan. And each grouping included a brown root beer bottle. The painted jars, which were all different sizes (some quart, some pint, some wide mouth, some narrow)--(they were canning jars and pickle jars and jam jars)--were filled with flowers later when the reception was about to start. Each jar was tied with ribbon or lace or raffia, and some had romantic sayings glued on in place of a label.

 (I sneaked back up there, just to see the final result, but there were lots of family members milling about, all dressed up, and even I didn't feel comfortable snapping pictures when no one knew why this weird lady wearing jeans was crashing their party... The flowers were in shades of orange and yellow and cream/white. They used snapdragons, daisies, sunflowers, mums. It was terrific!  There were flowers everywhere. Some of the vases were  hidden in cowboy boots placed around on the shelves and other decor surrounding the edges of the room.)

Also, notice the bows on the chair covers: wide burlap ribbons, tied into bows! The runner in the center of the table is burlap, too. They used burlap ribbons all over, some tied into bows, other strips were threaded on a string so that it formed twisted loops. It was very attractive. Along the side walls, there was a tall picket fence, natural old wood, and from the fence were hung photos of the bride and groom, pieces of country-stye decor (old lamps, rake and hoe, branding iron) and lovey sayings painted on wood posters. Here's one I especially liked:


They used the burlap and lace theme for hanging the photos and the pieces of decor on the fences, too.

You may be wondering, "What was the clothing theme?" Well, I just happen to know...The night before, I'd gone to the temple to be with a friend who was attending for her first time. Unfortunately, I lost my fabric envelope when it apparently fell out of my pocket, and even though we searched all over for it, it wasn't found. So, one of the nice ladies suggested that I return in the morning and check at the laundry because they have a Lost and Found there. So, on Saturday morning, as I was walking back out through the temple foyer, after successfully retrieving my newly laundered (!) fabric envelope, I saw two young adult women dressed in simple peach-colored, knee length lace dresses, wearing identical brown cowboy boots walking in the door. Hmmm...So that's what the bridesmaids are wearing, huh?

Anyway, it was very creative, cheerfully casual, and personal wedding reception decor. I hope the sweet couple had a pleasant wedding and that the party was as nice as the motif.


No comments: