Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I've Been Everywhere, Man

When I wrote the blog on June 9th, and it was titled, "The End," I didn't really mean it to be the end of my blog. It's just a coincidence that I got really, really busy and didn't write any blogs. I enrolled in my final three elective credits for the master's degree I almost have completed (!!!) and it was an on-line class. That was both scary and, ultimately, convenient.

 A couple of months ago, I bought a plane ticket to go visit my two sons who live on the east coast. Knowing I would be enrolling in a class during the four week June semester, I planned the trip for a longish weekend and was just going to throw myself on the mercy of the instructor so that I'd be able to make up the work for the couple of classes I'd be missing. However, the class I chose turned out to be conducted entirely on-line. So the rule was--turn things in early if you want. Well, I've been focusing on doing just that. I read my articles, I wrote my responses, I prepared my projects. I turned in everything I could, so that while I was traveling, I wouldn't need to be trying to get computer access to keep up.

But the projects were elaborate! The class is Technology Applications for Elementary Curriculum. I've been making power point lessons, newsletters with hyperlinks, a digital photo-book that tells a story about tech in my life, and a movie. We had to make a public-service digital announcement about some education topic. So, my brainstorm was to video my (brilliant) grandchildren as the actors in a suggestion to parents for "How to Raise a Reader." That required a trip to visit them. Oh, what a sacrifice...

So, every day since school finished, I've been glued to the computer. Then, I went up to Utah to visit the little buddies for a few days. We did some fun things together and I spent some time filming my movie scenes. I came on back to Vegas and labored diligently to get my movie edited and snipped and clipped and organized. (Hey, it turns out that it is easy-peasy with the computer programs I downloaded.) I rushed around, washing my laundry from the first trip, tweaking the movie, then I up-loaded my work, packed my clean clothes,  and flew off to Maryland.

I just got home this afternoon from a breathless trip. And, I've been everywhere, man...  Actually, I went to Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts---all in six days. Whew. So, this week, I'll try and take some time to tell you of my road trip.

No comments: