Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Dilemma

Notes on having spent the last two weeks in a classroom inside the main building because my portable is uninhabitable:

  • I don't go home sweaty because I don't ever have to go outside except to get in the car.
  • The air conditioning is constant and comfortable.
  • Students who need a drink just step out in the hall, get the drink, and come back into class and there's no hassle
  • I get a lot more done on my prep because the copier/library/materials room are all right there...& if I forget a pen, or a transparency sheet, it isn't a 1/4 mile hike to get it.
  • We have a window, so we have natural lighting; it feels so good.
  • It doesn't have a "funny" smell--the portable always had a funny smell--even before the birds
  • It's nice to have other people nearby.
  • I can go to the bathroom if I have an emergency--the teacher next door can "cover" my class.

I heard from the office that someone is scheduled to come out this week and do the clean-up on the portables that have pigeon nests in the ducts (at least two). So possibly, we could return to our normal room in a week. Now, my dilemma is I've grown very fond of being back inside the regular building. Hmm...even if the room is small and I keep needing things that are outside. Good thing there are only 29 days left until I don't have to worry about this problem EVER AGAIN.

(Because I'll quit working as a teacher if I'm ever told I must teach in a portable in the future.)

No comments: